Breast cancer is the most common cancer as well as the leading cause of death from cancer among women worldwide. The Chodosh laboratory uses genetically engineered mouse models to study the genes and mechanisms that cause breast cancer and that contribute to breast cancer progression. Particular areas of interest include: the function of oncogenes and tumor suppressor genes in breast cancer, metastasis, tumor dormancy and recurrence; the role of stem cells in cancer and the normal development of the mammary gland; the use of genomics and computational approaches to understand genetic programs in mammary development and breast cancer; the mechanisms by which pregnancy protects against breast cancer; and the use of non-invasive imaging approaches such as PET, MRI, and bioluminescence to study tumor biology. These approaches employ a broad array of molecular, cellular, animal, human, and in silico model systems to study the function of key regulatory molecules in mammary gland and tumor biology.
Department of Cancer Biology
421 Curie Boulevard
627 BRB II/III
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6160
Ph: (215) 898-0006
Fax: (215) 573-6725
01. Alvarez JV, Pan TC, Ruth J, Feng Y, Zhou AY, Pant D, Grimley JS, Wandless TJ, DeMichele A, I-SPY 1 Trial Investigators and Chodosh LA. Par-4 down-regulation promotes breast cancer recurrence by preventing multinucleation following targeted therapy. Cancer Cell, 24:30-44, 2013.
02. Yeh ES, Belka GK, Vernon AE, Chen CC, Jung JJ and Chodosh LA. Hunk negatively regulates c-myc to promote Akt-mediated cell survival and mammary tumorigenesis induced by loss of Pten. PNAS, 110:6103-8, 2013.
03. Chen CC, Stairs DB, Boxer RB, Belka GK, Horseman ND, Alvarez JV and Chodosh LA. Autocrine prolactin induced by the Pten-Akt pathway is required for lactation initiation and provides a direct link between the Akt and Stat5 pathways. Genes & Development, 26:2154-2168, 2012
04. Yeh, ES, Yang TW, Jung JJ, Gardner HP, Cardiff RD and Chodosh LA. Hunk is required for HER2/neu-induced mammary tumorigenesis. Journal of Clinical Investigation, 121:866-879, 2011.
05. Wertheim GBW, Yang TW, Pan TC, Ramne A, Liu Z, Gardner HP, Dugan KD, Kristel P, Kreike B, Vijver MJ, Cardiff RD and Chodosh LA. The Snf1-related kinase, Hunk, is essential for mammary tumor metastasis. PNAS, 106:15855-60, 2009.
06. Liu Z, Wang M, Alvarez JV, Bonney ME, Chen CC, D'Cruz C, Pan TC, Tadesse MG and Chodosh LA. Singular value decomposition-based regression identifies activation of endogenous signaling pathways in vivo. Genome Biology, 9:R180, 2008.
07. Sarkisian CJ, Keister BA, Stairs DB, Boxer RB, Moody SE and Chodosh LA. Dose-dependent oncogene-induced senescence in vivo and its evasion during mammary tumorigenesis. Nature Cell Biology, 9:493-505, 2007.
08. Boxer RB, Stairs DB, Dugan KD, Notarfrancesco KL, Portacarrero CP, Keister BA, Belka GK, Cho H, Rathmell J, Thompson CB, Birnbaum MJ and Chodosh LA. Isoform-specific requirement for Akt1 in the developmental regulation of cellular metabolism during lactation. Cell Metabolism, 4:475-490, 2006.
09. Blakely CM, Stoddard AJ, Belka GK, Dugan KD, Notarfrancesco KL, Moody SE, D’Cruz CM and Chodosh LA. Hormone-induced protection against mammary tumorigenesis is conserved in multiple rat strains and identifies a core gene expression signature induced by pregnancy. Cancer Research, 66:6421-6431, 2006.
10. Moody SE, Perez D, Pan TC, Sarkisian CJ, Portocarrero C, Sterner CJ, Notorfrancesco K, Cardiff RD and Chodosh LA. The transcriptional repressor, Snail, promotes mammary tumor recurrence. Cancer Cell 8:197-209, 2005.
Beth Chislock - Postdoctoral Fellow
Chris Sterner - Research Specialist
Deborah Whitehouse - Research Specialist
Dhruv Pant - Computational Biologist
George Belka - Research Project Manager
Heather Martin - Postdoctoral Fellow
Jessica Blanchard - Research Specialist
Judith Smith - Lab Manager
Katelyn Wichert - Administrative Coordinator
Lauren Pferdehirt - Graduate Student
Sam Getchell - Graduate Student
Tatiana Blanchard - Research Specialist
Tien-chi Pan - Computational Biologist
Yan Chen - Research Specialist
top Last Modified 3/27/2015 12:01:39 PM